2023 Arizona Council of the Blind Conference Program
last updated 4/6/23
Friday, April 14
5:30-6:00pm Hospitality Room
6:00-7:30pm Game Night
Saturday, April 15
8:00-8:30am Hospitality Room
Meet the AzCB Board of Directors
Meet the AzCB Convention Committee
9:00-9:45am Session 1 – Care, Connect, Create at the National Level
Kenneth and Jeff are two members of ACB’s national board and have held leadership positions for many years within ACB. Both of them will lead us through a discussion focusing on the most important principles of ACB’s core values, that being our people and our affiliates.
It starts with caring. We as a national organization our here for each and every one of you, no matter your position within your affiliate. We are truly a family and we need each of you to be supported and for you to support us. It takes all of us to achieve more!
Next, it’s about connections. We as people thrive on connecting with one another and we will discuss the tools, strategies and opportunities that the national organization provides to connect you locally, nationally, and dare we say it, even internationally with blind people no matter where they are. We will discuss the programs and services that the national organization provides to empower you in your journey with ACB and how we could also use your help to empower others.
Finally, it is about creating or empowering you to achieve more. How can you help grow your affiliate or chapter? What about advocacy? What about community, technology, health care? All of these are crucial aspects as individuals and you play a part in driving change in and outside of the organization.
Again, we are a family and all of the members of that family are crucial for a healthy and thriving organization at all levels. Come learn how you fit into the organization, how you can contribute back to the organization and how you can shape the direction at every level of ACB in the work that you do to achieve more!
9:45-10:30am Session 2 – Care, Connect, Create at the State Level
Join Ron Brooks, Kaila Allen, Michael Godino, Sarah Harris, and Lori Scharff as they share the role that a strong state affiliate can play in helping to support local chapters and members so that our overall organization, our mission and our members are supported and able to succeed.
10:45-11:30am Session 3 – Care, Connect, Create at the Local Level
Join Central Arizona chapter members Lisa Brooks and Ted Chittenden, and Southern Arizona chapter members Jordan Lopuszanski and Lupita Hernandez as they share the value their local affiliate has made in their lives and how they and their affiliates give back to their local community.
11:30-12:15pm Session 4 – Care, Connect, Create at the Member Level
Join four AzCB members, Lily Bogan, Ron Brooks, Karen Hughes, and Melanie Sinohui and learn about what brought them to ACB and what keeps them coming back .
12:30-1:40pm Lunch and Learn
- 12:30-12:40pm Arizona Rehabilitation Services Administration (RSA): Brian Dulude
- 12:40-12:50pm Arizona Center for the Blind and Visually Impaired (ACBVI): Steve Tepper
- 12:50-1:00pm Foundation for Blind Children (FBC): Julie Oliver
- 1:00-1:10pm The Southern Arizona Association for the Visually Impaired (Saavi): Rachel Kuntz
- 1:10-1:20pm Arizona Talking Book Library: Elizabeth Thompson
- 1:20-1:30pm Arizona Industries for the Blind (AIB): David Steinmetz
- 1:30-1:40pm SunSounds: Mares Wright
2:00-3:00pm Business Meeting
- Call to Order: Melanie Sinohui
- Roll Call: GailElaine Wilt
- Approval of Agenda: Melanie Sinohui
- 2:05-2:10pm Secretary’s Report: GailElaine Wilt
- 2:10-2:15pm Treasurer’s Report: Dan Martinez
- 2:15-2:20pm President’s Report: Melanie Sinohui
- 2:20-2:25pm Central AZ Chapter Report: Ted Chittenden
- 2:25-2:30pm Southern AZ Chapter Report: Lily Bogan
- 2:30-2:35pm Credentials Committee: TBD
- 2:35-2:55pm Elections: Ted Chittenden
- President, Vice President, Treasurer, and 1 Director at Large
- Constitution and Bylaw Amendments
- 2:55-3:00pm Closing: Melanie Sinohui